You know when food bloggers promise you a recipe but then you have to scroll through 4,500 words on why they love this recipe and what specific emotions it evokes when they eat it? Yeah, this is not one of those times. So, by popular Insta-demand, here is my super simple, extra-quick recipe for vegan, delicious, crispy panko tofu with katsu noodles. BOOM.
Recipe serves 4. Most people will tell you it serves 6 but I work in larger portions – this fed two adults, a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old.
Crispy panko tofu with katsu vegetable noodles
For the crispy tofu
- 1 block tofu (280g)
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50 ml plant milk
- 4 heaped tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for cooking
For the katsu vegetable noodles
- 1 300g bag stir fry veg (or 300g of chopped veg of your choice)
- 1 340g jar ready-made katsu curry sauce. I used Co-op but you can get it from most supermarkets. Don't judge me for the ready-made-ness. It's what makes this quick and fuss-free.
- 600 g straight to wok noodles. I used udon because they get really coated in the sauce.
- Slice your tofu block into 3 or 4 thinner slices, around 1cm thick each.
- Put the flour, plant milk and panko breadcrumbs into separate bowls or plates.
- Take each slice of tofu and first dip in the flour, then the milk, then the panko breadcrumbs. Make sure it's well covered by pressing it down into the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat with the other slices. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok and add your veg. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes then add a splash of water. This will prevent your veg from sticking or burning and keeps it nice and fresh tasting. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add your noodles to the wok.
- Meanwhile, heat around 1/2 cm of oil in the bottom of a heavy-based frying pan until a bit of flour dropped into it sizzles.
- Fry your slices of tofu for around 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan and pat off the excess oil on some kitchen roll.
- Add your katsu sauce to a small saucepan until warmed through. Pour 2/3 of it into your wok with the veg and noodles. Stir through.
- Serve the noodles in bowls, then slice the tofu into "fingers" and arrange on top of the noodles. Pour the rest of the sauce over the tofu.