There are several reasons why, when choosing a niche for your business, it’s a good idea to pick a subject, industry, or type of person you want to work with that you really care about. Here are my top reasons why it’s important to have a niche you care about.
Hang on, why no pictures? I am actively trying to reduce the carbon footprint of my web presence, so I’m committed to only using images in the header of my posts, as well as when absolutely necessary within a post (such as infographics).
What is a niche?
According to Google dictionary a niche (pronounced neesh in British English or nitch in American English) is:
A specialised segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service
Denotes products, services or interests that appeal to a small, specialised section of the population.
or if you’re more of an Urban Dictionary fan:
A niche is a position or activity that particularly suits somebody’s talents and personality or that somebody can make his or her own.
Different kinds of niche
You can niche in a number of different ways. You might choose to niche in one of the below areas, or all 4:
- A specific type of product or service (example: content writer or vegan candles)
- Based around your core values (example: accountant for eco-friendly brands, plastic-free events supplier)
- Your ideal client (example: parents who run small businesses, people who live a waste-free lifestyle,
- Geography or community-related (example: people who need X service or product in your local area)
So an example of someone choosing a really narrow niche that fits with their strengths, values, people they like to work with AND geography could be something like this:
“I provide reusable, plastic-free party kits to parents of under-5s in the Nottingham area”.
“I am an accountant for zero waste shops and vegan cafes in Hampshire”.
It’s entirely up to you how narrow your niche is, and it might feel a bit scary at first, as when you start a business it can be tempting to try to sell to anyone. This seldom works though, as you’ll probably find your message is diluted so nobody feels you are REALLY speaking to them as an individual in your marketing.
What are the benefits of niching?
- Smaller businesses, on a budget, can reach their target audiences for less, using a marketing method suitable to their niche
- It is an excellent way to build real relationships and rapport with your clients
- Instead of shouting to a room of people who aren’t interested, you’ll be speaking to a small room of people who are
Why care about your niche?
I’m a big believer of choosing a niche that you care about and that means something to you. Here’s why:
Focusing on your passion will help keep you happy
- Doing what you love means you’ll be happier in your daily work
- You’ll find it easier to stay motivated – if you don’t care about your niche your job satisfaction can drop
- You’ll be emotionally invested and therefore more motivated!
It will help you build relationships
- Talking about your passions is easier, you’ll be able to communicate this passion, value, and your service/product to your clients
- You’ll be connecting with like-minded people who are more likely to become long-term contacts and collaborators
- You’ll have a sense of satisfaction knowing that you are helping others who are just as passionate as you are
- It’s not all about the money to you and your customers will see that
You’re setting yourself up for success
- Because you care, you’re looking at long-term goals, not just short-term rewards
- You’ll be happy to put in the ‘hard yards’ now, knowing that you’ll be doing what you love for years to come
- You are more likely to invest, financially and mentally, to ensure continued development and improvement
Why I care so passionately about my niche
Connecting with business owners that have put a purpose and their values at the forefront of their brand is everything to me. Because I am so passionate about the values of my own business, finding other people who feel the same about their own companies just fills me with joy.
If you run a business with purpose, ethics or values at its heart, please check out The Duck Pond, my membership and community for entrepreneurs just like you.